The Afghan homemade Mantu recipe, is one of the top dishes of the country. Mantu which can be spelled as Manto, Mantto, or Mantoo is a mixed ground beef dumplings and serves in special occasions and gatherings.
Lets start the process of how to make dumplings.
Ingredients of Afghan homemade mantu recipe/dumplings recipe:
1 Lb ground beef
1 1/8 tbsp salt ( as needed)
1 tbsp pepper (as needed)
1 ½ tbsp coriander ground
¼ tbsp cumin ground
2 large finely chopped onions
1 package wonton wrappers
2 tbsp tomato paste
6 tbsp oil
¾ cup yogurt
¼ tbsp dried mint
2 mashed garlic gloves
1) Filling: Combine ground beef, onions, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander ground and 1 cup water in a skillet; stir and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Let it cool off.
2) Place wrappers on a cutting board covered lightly with flour one at a time then pure 1 cup of cold water in a bowl. Dip your index finger in the bowl of water and rub the edges of the wrapper to make it wet. Place one table stingy of the mixed beef on the bottom half of the wrapper. Bring the other half on top of the bottom half making a triangle. Take two opposite corners each in different hands and seal them together making a bow. Place the oil in a bowl and dip the bottoms of the filled mantu in oil and place them in a (steam cooker) or you can spray some oil inside the steam cooker. Both ways can be possible then steam the dumplings for 40 minutes or longer on a medium heat.
3) Sauce: While waiting, place the remaining of the mixed beef filling in the skillet with tomato paste and cook it uncovered for 10 minutes.
4) Yogurt: Add garlic, 2 teas thingy water and mint to the yogurt mix.
5) To serve, put a layer of the yogurt on a flat serving plate ghori; then place the mantu on top of the yogurt plate. Afterward put another layer of yogurt on top of the manto and add a layer of the mixed beef sauce. Then sprinkle some fresh or dry mint on top of the plate. Now your delicious Afghan mantu is ready to serve.
I hope you enjoy making your own Afghani homemade mantu recipe at home. I also want to mention that this recipe might be different in other sources because every cook has her own recipe and style of cooking.